Jeera Alu, is the simplest, most easy dish to prepare, when the guests are just about to arrive and you still haven’t entered the kitchen. Or the children are on a hunger call, and they just won’t wait.
Jeera Alu, can be prepared in a snap and served like you have slogged for at least 2 hours, coz they are sooooo unbelievably delicious.
Cubes of potato, mixed with spices full of aroma and taste, a dish prepared by the whole of India.These golden chunks of spicy potatoes prove to be such a comfort food , you can eat them every day.
Variate the ever so versatile potatoes, by using whole coriander seeds (just crack um a lil), add a hint of Garam Masala, forget the tomatoes & add Amchoor (dried mango powder).
Accompany Jeera Alu with Good Old Daal (cooked lentil) and steamed rice, to get the taste of everyday Indian food.
Or serve it the Shahi way with a rich chicken curry and Paranthas or Pooris.
|Prep: 20 min.||Cooking: 60 min.||Serves: 6||Grade: Moderate|
Method for preparation
- Parboil the potatoes, remove the skin and cut in cubes of 1 1/2″.
- Heat the oil in a thick bottomed pan, add cumin, cook till it splutters.
- Add the chopped ginger, and cook for 30 sec.
- Add the spices, and chopped green chillis, stir and add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes for ten minutes, till they are tender.
- Pour 1/4 cup water , bring the prepared tomato masala to a boil.
- Tumble in the potato cubes, and stir till are coated with the tomato & spices.
- Simmer them in the spices for 5 minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and tomato wedges.
Serve hot with “poori” or “paranthas” (Indian soft bread).